Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 2010 02:19:44 -0500
From:         Jay Brown <badkarma@TTLC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tail Lights

Hi Phil,

There are quite a few options for brighter tail lights. There have been some recommendations lately over at thesamba.com for bulbs that are only available directly from the Honda dealer. Part # 39403-SF1-A01 fits into the standard tail light sockets, you will need 6 of them (plus a spare or two if you are so inclined). I am not personally running these bulbs, but the recommendation comes from Daniel Stern, who has an excellent track record when it comes to automotive lighting.

If you haven't already done the "rear fog light" modification, I would highly recommend it. There is a good write up with a few photos here: http://tinyurl.com/25ataey. The opening for this bulb in the tail light lens is smaller, so you will need a different bulb unless you want to cut some plastic. The corresponding bulb from the Honda dealer to fit in this spot without cutting is part # 34901-SBO-671. On my '85 Westy I tied the extra bulb to the brake light. If you don't mind trimming a little bit of plastic from around the lens opening for the extra tail light you can fit the normal bulbs, which will be brighter. I will probably go with this method in my '87 Wolfsburg soon.

I used to run the higher wattage bulbs from Terry Kay, but found that mine didn't last very long. I always buy a spare for every bulb that I purchase since they are small and easy to stow away in the van. In less than a year and a half, I had gone thru all of the "upgraded" bulbs I got from TK, hence I no longer use or recommend them. Some people have had success running LED tail lights. I have yet to find any plug and play option that I really like, so I can't make specific recommendations. You may be able to cross-reference bulbs on the web to find LED replacement bulbs that will work in the tail lights of the van. If you go this route, be sure that the bulbs for the turn signals come with resistors so your blinker relay will function properly.

Another easy way to increase visibility is to add some 3M Scotchlite tape to whatever location on your van you see fit. There are a few photos here that show the results http://tinyurl.com/276b6zl.

Lastly, you could wire in a 3rd brake light up high on the rear window. Most modern vehicles have a high mounted 3rd brake light and it is not too hard to add to the rear of a Vanagon http://tinyurl.com/2fstlsc

Jay Brown '85 Zetec Westfalia '87 Zetec Wolfsburg https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/

Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:49:22 -0800 From: Phil <mypactor@PACBELL.NET> Subject: Re: tail lights There have been posts lately about upgrading Vanagon headlights. Been there, done that. How about TAIL LIGHTS? They need to be upgraded too. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Phil in Bakersfield