Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 2010 07:38:56 -0800
From:         "Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@OCOTILLOFIELD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Slightly Overpriced GL on The Samba
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Ken,

NJ isn't the Northeast. Have you seen what cars look like in Massachusetts?

You are of course right about the rubber and so forth. But the real question is what is the opportunity cost to buying a Vanagon? Sure, you can take time off from work, fly to Arizona (from Boston), inspect the vehicle, maybe do this a couple of times because the ads are "optimistic," buy something like this for $4000, try to drive it home, have the hoses fail in Oklahoma, destroy the engine, hire a hauler to get the thing to Massachusetts, and then start restoring. I don't know if all of that is equal to $7000 or not, but it's getting there.

If someone in Massachusetts or New Hampshire or Maine buys this and knows what they are doing, and then puts four or five thousand into it, that's not a bad deal. I would much rather start with a body that has little rust, no patchwork, and so forth.

I know that you have expertise in this area, and I don't question it. But sometimes expertise narrows your idea of what makes sense. There are a number of different ways to end up with a nice, reliable Vanagon.

Mark