Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:10:29 -0800
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      regarding the so called overpriced vanagon

Dear fellow vangoniters

i have not entered into the discussion to discuss how much the offered van is worth from the perspective of a person who can remedy all things from the stuff in the back room ...

Person says 11K$ is too much for a 1986

(This may or may not be )

what i have said though is this ... I hope the seller gets lots and lots for the van ... I hope there is a biddiing war to drive the price up very high ... Because ...

The next person who has a wreck can point to this vannagon selling price as fair market value for a van .. to those of you who can buy a vanagon for under 4K$ because you have the know how to remedy all things ... I say good for you ... and please carry on ... Buy as many as you can ... K****** W******* of this list reports .... "I paid $800 for my '88, but the engine (freshly mostly rebuilt) was in the back seat." October 27 2009 .. Yaaah him :)

Once your van is ready to go ... ask yourself how much you will accept as a payment if wrecked ... ask your self how much you will sell for if required ...

my bet is ... your Vanagon will be listed for sale at no less than 10K$

also to be clear ... Buying and selling are as different as day and night but even more different is insurance adjusted replacement cheque

my current 1984 westie .. which needs nearly everything except the body to be replaced ... paid 3.2K$ plus an engine R n R i made that choice rather than several excellent all ready to go versions which were priced accordingly ... not because on that day i didnt have the money cause i did .. nor did i think this is too much money for that van ...cause they were well priced and priced well .. no i wanted to have the opportunity to do the work my self ...

the reason i brought up gowesty is because they buy lots of vans at less than 4K$ or so ... and then restore them ... to sell for .. BIG $$ ... go them

on the particular van in discussion i have no opinion cause i have not seen it ... last year i went to toledo to look at a syncro there that was for sale at 3K$ ... the claim was the van had just had major engine work and the body was rust free...

the reality was .. the engine had not seen a wrench in at least two years ..according to paper work with the van ... and every bolt head was rusty indeed the body was rust free ... above the bottom edge of the rocker panel ... underneath ... it was a horror show and the shifter operated like an out of mesh roadranger rather than a vanagon

the guy knew nothing of the syncro ... even though he claimed to be original owner ... turned out he was married to ex wife of original owner ... so i declined the machine ... not because 3K$ was too much for van ... but because i was going to be driving it back to BC on the west coast ... and didnt want to spend the holidays under the van in in laws shop .. doing all the basics ... and what that would lead to ... if i lived in the area i would have been all over it ....

so to be precise ... my arguments are about replacement value as argued with insurance agent ... and having a list of Vanagon $$ to pint to when in that discussion regards -- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt