Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:43:37 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery or Charging System Help Please
Comments: To: "Michael A. Radtke" <wa7zpu@CISAZ.COM>

Mike, good for you for sticking with it and nailing it down.

This wiring area is a real weak spot in 83-85 and early 86 vans. I can't tell you how many times I have seen problems on those red wires at the junction post hidden in the wiring box.

Even 86+ has an issue with the charging wire from the alternator, but usually not as hidden since it bypasses that junction. VW increased the wire size in 88 and I haven't heard of as many issues after that.

This even comes up with engine conversions as many times the conversion uses the original Vanagon charging wiring and just hooks it to the new alternator or splices it to the conversion charging wire stub. Then strange things happen with the new engine like they were when the owner got disgusted with the old one and decided to convert.

Mark

Michael A. Radtke wrote: > Mark and David, > > Thank you for nagging me. > > I did the tests that I should have done in the first place and found > that one of the crimps had failed on the parallel wires at the clean and > shiny end in the junction box. I rebuilt and soldered all of the > crimps. This brought the voltage drop from the alternator to the > battery under load to 0.5 volts. That still bothered me so I installed > the recommended jumper from the alternator to the starter. The jumper > reduced the total drop to about 250 millivolts. > > Thank you for not letting me walk away from the real problem. > > Mike > > > >