Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 2010 06:58:12 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Speedo fix (I think..maybe.)

In my ongoing quest to eliminate the "hamster in his wheel...on meth" sounds that have been plaguing the speedometer in my 84 van, I may have finally done some good.

First, the odo went...So I got another speedo from 'the Samba'. That was great, until the weather got cold...then it started up with the "skritch, scritch, scritch, scritch........" every time the temp goes below about 32f....After about 10mi of driving, the sound would gradually fade away...and that would be it, until the next cold drive... I tried lubricating the cable numerous times. Pulled the speedo and put some lube in there, too...on that bronze bushing. Had the pod out about 5 times, trying various things. Then, on to the cable...Replaced that..No change, still the same. Pulled the cable again and lubed it again, even though it was brand new....No change...

Then somewhere I saw mention of tying-up the speedo cable at the rear of the pod...So I got out my trusty Zip-ties. I put one around the cable, just 'below' the start of the fitting that attaches to the speedo housing, and I wrapped that onto some support brace that heads up to the windshield.....Watching the angle of the cable as it enters into the housing, I carefully tightened the zip tie to just take the 'strain' off the bronze bushing in the speedo housing, making it go straight in rather than sagging a little like it wants to do.... My thinking is that noise maybe comes from the downward force of the cable as it enters the speedo It might be just enough to start the bushing going round inside...then once things get warm in there...the bushing maybe expands and stops making that irritating noise....So 'lifting and supporting' the cable with the zip tie maybe relieves the friction just enough to stop this from happening...

Anyhow, fingers are crossed...it hasn't been really cold yet again....but so far, it has been blissfully silent at the back of my "hamster pod".. Or maybe he is just hibernating finally...

Don Hanson