Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:41:46 -0800
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wiring in a new Stereo Unit
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@gmail.com>

Great Handle! dieseldoofus!

TANSTAAFL of couse. That wireless remote has to talk to something. The something is either an infrared receiver or a radio frequency receiver in the head unit. Takes power to do that but half an amp is a bit much methinks.

The Blaupunkt system originally in your Vanagon may have had a remote but it would not function unless the head unit was 'on'.

Using other systems should not have too much of a draw but yours has a measured 680ma. If you check the specifications on the unit, likely there will be an entry that references the quiescent current draw. If the measured value is out of specification then something is wired in error. If the measured value is close to the spec, the head unit is performing as it should. In your case if the spec is >500ma there is no free lunch and you should seek another method for controlling the on-off feature. Perhaps a remote switch you can reach from the comfort of your duvet.

Pensionerd. (Blaup Los Angeles mit Thummer remote)