Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:01:54 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      NVC Follow up on Late Friday post Question on Migrating to New PC

I posted this to WetWesties a couple of days ago but it's Friday here now....

About 10 days ago I asked if anyone had found a program that actually worked and worked right for migrating from an old Windows XP computer to a new computer running Windows 7. This is a follow up on my experience in doing just that. And mostly good news.

All that follows assumes first that you have some basic knowledge about copying files and an external storage device that will handle some of your files.

First, the easy stuff. If you are using Firefox as you browser the move is duck soup and works perfect. Go to the Firefox support pages and follow their instructions. You just copy the contents of a specific directory from the old computer and paste into a specific directory on the new computer. This assumes you have downloaded and installed Firefox on the new computer. All bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, etc. come over perfect.

Second, you can move all your documents and pictures, etc by copying to an external storage device and then copying to the new hard drive. Microsoft provides a program to do this (I didn't use it) by connecting the two computers together.

Now the big problem, moving programs (and all the associated fires and settings) from the old computer and getting them to run under Windows 7. Re-installing all the programs you might have on the old computer can be a real hassle and time consuming even if you can find the CDs and have the product key or license code handy. The ideal situation would be to just 'migrate' to the new system. But, some programs that ran fine under XP won't even install under Win 7 let alone run. An Internet search will find several programs out there that claim to work, migrating you old programs to the new computer. But if you find the reviews on those programs they have a lot of problems. And when they do work you still will find that some of your programs won't run under Win 7.

But, I found one program that made sense. It would create a 'capsule' for ALL the contents of your XP hard drive and then run it a separate window. If it worked I could have the option of clicking on a desktop icon and have my old desktop pop up on my screen and be able to run just like I did with the old machine. The program was Zinstall (see zinstall.com ) The price was steep, $89 but they boasted of total success or your money back. So I bit, paid for it, downloaded the program and ran it. (At this point I'm going to NOT go into details about multiple failures and many hours of running and re-running the migration using different configurations, that's a long story and much of the problems can be attributed to problems with my old system, not to Zinstall.)

AND IT WORKED!!! That is, after a LOT of support from their tech staff and a lot of patience on my end. I now have an icon on the desktop of my new computer that I can click on and Presto! I have my entire old XP desktop running on my screen and I can run any program that I had on my old computer. And that include a bunch of old programs that I'd already tried to load into Win 7 or run under Win 7 that won't run under Win 7. Now if I want them I can just switch to the old XP setup. BTW, even though not needed, all the document and picture files also came over into the XP 'capsule'.

So, bottom line is that it IS possible to go to a new computer running Win 7 and still run all your old XP programs.

A couple of footnotes here. I went from a 200GB drive to a 2 TB drive so there is plenty of room on the new hard drive. Also, the migration can be very slow, many hours. This can be improved dramatically by purchasing an external hard drive enclosure and removing the hard drive from the old computer and putting it in that enclosure and plugging that into your new computer for the migration. Much faster than connecting the two computers. And if you decide to use Zinstall read the 'manual' they have online at their website and especially heed the suggestion to run CHKDSK before you attempt the migration. It will probably save you a bunch of time.

If anyone wants more details pmail me and I'll be glad to go into specific details.

And I don't own any stock in Zinstall, etc. But they did provide many hours of detailed tech support on this, I'm quite impressed. They earned their $89.