Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Dec 2010 13:36:25 -0800
From:         C B <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Front Shocks - Help or How Much $? (Portland OR)

I hope all are enjoying the ending year.

After an uneventful Portland-Palo Alto round trip, on Xmas eve a few miles from Portland there was a shimmy while driving on the highway and a loud chassis bang as we exited I-5. Uh-oh! Brakes? CV joint? The sound of rubber scraping metal ensued - a tire hitting the wheelwell. Suspension, then. We pulled into a parking lot and I looked underneath - nothing obvious hanging down, all tires inflated properly. The driver's side front tire was completely sunk within the wheel arch (explaining the rubbing noise, particularly while turning), while the passenger side had more than 2" of clearance. We limped home the last two miles in 1st gear. This is the 3rd time in 3 years the van has broken down walking distance from the house. (The last two were the water pump+transmission 3/4 gear slider, next the driver's side axle falling off)

Soaking wet and without jackstands, I made a more thorough inspection today. Even with the driver's front wheel off, I can't see any obviously broken or misaligned parts, just the collapsed driver's front shock, and marks in the grime on the shock housing and coil interior where they made contact. The shocks are probably OEM Boge/Sachs, or some budget brand with a black casing.

So, here're the Qs for the List: 1) Should I buy HD Biltsteins or Konis? Other consumable parts I should get to go along (such as the bushings for the top mounting plates)? I have HD rear springs and OEM front. I am in the process of upgrading every part as I go, after the POs did everything on the cheap. 2) Anyone in the Portland, OR area have HD spring compressors I can borrow or rent? 3) Suggestions for Portland local shop and price estimates for a shock swap only? 4) How much more shop time and $$ for simultaneously replacing the squeaky worn upper A-Arm bushings? I know this requires a press and specialized tools, neither of which I have, nor the ability to fabricate.

Thanks guys.

-- Bretts

1983 1.9l WBX Ivory Westfalia "Cunegonde"