Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Dec 2010 18:23:47 -0800
From:         "Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@OCOTILLOFIELD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Travel Report: Oregon to California Via I-5 mostly (long post)
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>

Karl is mostly right.

The Salton Sink, better known now as the Imperial Valley, is part of a vast delta for the Colorado River. As recently as five or six hundred years ago, it was a freshwater lake, fed by the Colorado and draining into the Sea of Cortez. The desert area surrounding the Salton Sea is littered with fish weirs, which the Indians used to catch fish. But then it all dried up.

Early in the twentieth century, developers dug a canal from the Colorado to Salton City, an agricultural community. A spring storm rerouted the Colorado into the sink along the line of the canal. It took three years to get the river back into its channel.

Geologists expected the resulting Salton Sea to dry up in a decade or two, but run off from agriculture in towns like El Centro have maintained the level of the Sea through run-off. As of now, things are very confusing. San Diego County, where I live, would love to buy the water that Imperial County uses to grow alfalfa and other crops, but doing that would lead to a dry lake bed full of contaminants. So for the time being, the Sea is kept at about the level it has been until someone comes up with a plan.

Vanagon content: if it weren't for the deserts in southern Cal. and Arizona, plus the Colorado Plateau, what would I need a Westfalia for? I wouldn't.

Mark