Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:16:36 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Tank Fitment; Subframe Crooked?
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

hi Neil. I've never even heard of that adapter bushing until this latest go-around.

the reason VW went to the plastic filler tube is cost .. far, far less expensive part. that bronze large collar at the top of your pipe ...very expensive part. You don't see parts like that in modern cars ...all plastic.

so where the metal pipe, heavy duty bronze-like collar and rubber boot cost say ... 30 dollars in production, the plastic pipe probably costs 6 dollars , something like that..even less.

plastic is used because .. it's cheap, once you make the machine to make the part, the unit cost is almost nothing. it can't corrode or rust ( but they can deteriorate from age and heat, like cooling system plastic parts ) and it's light wieght.

and it just happens to be a whole lot easier to deal with the smaller plastic pipe. I do have a whole tank with plastic filler neck if you want to buy one from me .. or ... might be better to buy a new small filler neck fuel tank .. though I have my doubts about new mostly cheap aftermarket parts these days. personally , I would take a chance o a good used original tank and plastic filler neck myself.

the only issues with the large metal pipe that I am aware of .........hellava lot harder to remove and install. I've done many. they fit, just a pain to get the tiny screws to go through the rubber at the top, and into the bronze collar. the plastic filler neck is a piece of cake.

I suppose I could say I've noticed the metal pipes very close to the large hole in the frame.. like almost touching the bottom of the frame hole.

I have never liked that system they use with a grommet there. it's not 'normal' that a filler neck sticks into the side of a fuel tank, ( under fuel level too ) and sealing just depends on the resilience of the neoprene seal and the right pressure to keep it sealing. I don't know of any other car anywhere with a set up like that.

stay cozy ! Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:56 PM Subject: Re: Gas Tank Fitment; Subframe Crooked?