Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:59:52 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <wa7zpu@CISAZ.COM>
Subject:      Re: 8 Secretive Part Numbers For One Fuel Pump?

Hi Derek,

First, be sure that you need a fuel pump.

The first time that I thought that I needed one because it was noisy, I replace it with a used one which turned out to be just as bad. That was years ago, but this list recommended that I replace my fuel filter. I did so and both of the pumps were quiet. That has fixed the problem every few years since.

Fast forward to this year and a noisy pump yet again. I replaced the fuel filter and it was quiet for a few months but then it started making noise again. I replaced the filter again with no improvement. So, I ran a wire through the fuel line line in the tank and got some crud out. A quiet pump yet again.

Mike -- Phoenix, AZ

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: 8 Secretive Part Numbers For One Fuel Pump? Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:42:35 -0500 From: Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM> Reply-To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

As far as I can determine, here are the part numbers for the same Vanagon Bosch Fuel pump:

0 580 463 016 0 580 464 070 69713 69469 GFP301 0580463016 0580464070 251 906 091

All these are Bosch part numbers and the last one is a VW number.

The matter is important because if you go onto ebay, say, and search for them using this query:

Bosch ("0 580 463 016","0 580 464 070",0580463016,0580464070,69713,69469,"251 906 091",GFP301,"GFP 301")

Then you see many pumps, many of which are original genuine Bosch, at prices from $46 to $200.

I am wondering if this is like the Mattress industry where everybody sells the same few parts under many secretive part numbering schemes so consumers cannot compare prices.

Or, is there a reason some of us are buying the Vanagon pump for $150 at Rockauto and our favorite vanagon vendors, but ebayers are sending out what seems to be the exact same part for $50 if you know the part number to look under.

As far as I can tell, these all should be the same 130lph to 190lph Bosch 6 amp pump. (lph = liters per hour and the matter is topical with higher horsepower engines, which need more liters per hour, and we are wondering if the Vanagon pump is enough for 212 horsepower.

The matter came up on a Samba thread where were are having fun with a kind of a Vanapalooza fest where I am converting my vans to 6 cylindar 3.0L Subaru engines, which you can see in this 7 page thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440872&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

_______________ Derek Drew Founder, ConsumerSearch.com Washington DC / New York derekdrew@derekmail.com 202-966-7907 (Call the number at left normally) (alt/cell for diligent calling only): 703-408-1532