Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:07:29 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: stainless steel coolant pipes
Comments: To: Will Taygan <lists@ALASKABIODIESEL.ORG>

There are three versions of the long stainless steel coolant pipes that I know of. I have experience with two of them.

The ones that the Bus Depot sell are fashioned after the original plastic or metal pipes and are two piece with a rubber junction in the middle. They are plenty thick enough to outlast the van (not sure of the exact gauge since no one ever asked me about that before). They install relatively easily and DO NOT require you to drop the gas tank on a 2wd Van (although the job would be easier if you did).

The other style that Go Westy is selling is similar gauge to the ones BD are selling. They are also two piece. They DO require you to drop the gas tank to install (which was a major pain for me the first time I used them since I was used to the BD version and didn't know this and spent a few hours fighting them before I found out). The nice part about them is that one of the pipes takes a turn over the top of the transmission and includes a hose that essentially eliminates a hose that is NLA from VW (I have an aftermarket alternative by the way).

I have used and installed both of these versions and you can pretty much take your pick of them because they will both work and hold up well since they are both high grade stainless and plenty thick.

As for Terry Kay's pipes I have no experience with them whatsoever. He makes a big deal about them being one piece like the originals. While this may sound like a good thing, as an a parts supplier myself and an installer I can tell you that is has two very distinct disadvantages over the other two. The first is that the length of the package will be maximum oversized for UPS. So shipping will be very expensive even if you are not that far away from him. The second is installation. The original full length pipes were a pain to install because they were so long and you had to fight them much more than the ones that are split in half. Actually with the other versions, once you get the front sections in place the rear sections just slide up into place with no fight at all. Of course if you drop the tank it will make the install easier on any version of these.

Conclusion: If you are looking for a great replacement your stock plastic or metal coolant pipes you really can't go wrong with either BD or GW versions of these pipes. If your gas tank hasn't been resealed in a while (or you have no record of it) then you should schedule this at the same time (2wd only).

Hope this helps,

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

On 12/22/2010 9:57 PM, Will Taygan wrote: > Troy et al., I've been wading through piles of "stainless might be bad" > junk. (which can be summarized by saying if it's not touching other > metal and you've got fresh coolant you're probably okay.) > > Did you ever get a response/make a decision for stainless steel coolant > pipes re: Bus Depot vs. Terry K vs. Rocky Mtn Westy pipes? (I hear > GoWesty and Van-Cafe sell customized RMW pipes?) I think the BD pipes > are thinner (they are cheaper, especially the 1.25" ones!), but are > thick enough. I'm more concerned about fit. > > Thanks, > > Will in Alaska. > > On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 16:41 -0800, Troy wrote: >> Hi folks: >> >> About to order some stainless steel coolant pipes for my 89 Westy. What's the consensus on the best place to buy? Bus Depot, Terry K, Van cafe'? I'm going to go with the two-piece for obvious reasons. I have a Subaru conversion, so the extra bend that Go Westy has in their pipes has no particular appeal. I have heard other people having to make bends after they received the pipe, and that's not something I want to do. Terry K's are the most expensive, but most people seem to like his work. Comments? >> >> Troy >>