Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:13:32 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: '91 Vanagon Brake Shoe Question
Comments: To: Jason Swan <jason@SWANSONTHEGO.COM>

It is easy to put the brakes back together wrong. In particular the 2 stiff return springs can be installed reversed such that the shank of the spring hits the adjuster wheel and keeps the mechanism from ever self adjusting. The 2 return springs are not identical. One is a mirror image. They need to be installed in the right positions.

Ignore the notion that a difference in shoe lining length explains your problems.

Mark

Jason Swan wrote: > Hi all, > > I just found the list after quite a few years with my Vanagon. I've > managed to muddle my way through most maintenance issues, but got > stumped recently. I replaced my rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. > The cylinders were shot, and I did the shoes because I had everything > apart. Anyway, after replacing the shoes, I bled the lines, and now I > have to pump the brakes a few times before I get good braking. In fact, > the brakes act like they aren't adjusting at all. No hand brake > friction at all, and the brakes need to be pumped each time. I did > clean everything with brake cleaner and a wire brush when I had it > apart, and I'm reasonably confident that the self-adjusting mechanism > should work... > >