Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:28:20 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '91 Vanagon Brake Shoe Question
Comments: To: Jason Swan <jason@SWANSONTHEGO.COM>

Hi Jason, I seriously doubt that it matters a lot if the shoes are the same length front and rear, or one is shorter. Usually, all the shoes I have seen are shorter on one , compared to it's mate on the same wheel.

Vangons are unique in that each shoe is dedicated to it's positions. each shoe only fits one place. It is not possible to put them in the wrong location if the are the right shoes. There is only LR, LF, and RR and RF. period.

you don't count on the self-adjuster to take up all the slock initially. You do that yourself initially .. or I do anyway ...turn the self adjsuter star wheel until the drum just fits on. yank on the parking brake handle to settle the shoes, take the drum off, tighten the star wheel a bit... until the drum just fits over and there is a small amount of drag.

if you don't do that you'd have to apply the brakes or parking brake handle many, many times to ever get the adjuster up to where it belongs. You need to do sometimes many clicks on the star wheel to get it adjusted out properly .

lube the points on the backing plate where the shoes slide, I use copper anti-seize compound there. and of course new wheel cylinders need to be properly bled.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Swan" <jason@SWANSONTHEGO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 11:25 AM Subject: '91 Vanagon Brake Shoe Question

Hi all,

I just found the list after quite a few years with my Vanagon. I've managed to muddle my way through most maintenance issues, but got stumped recently. I replaced my rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. The cylinders were shot, and I did the shoes because I had everything apart. Anyway, after replacing the shoes, I bled the lines, and now I have to pump the brakes a few times before I get good braking. In fact, the brakes act like they aren't adjusting at all. No hand brake friction at all, and the brakes need to be pumped each time. I did clean everything with brake cleaner and a wire brush when I had it apart, and I'm reasonably confident that the self-adjusting mechanism should work...

Anyway, since I don't have a ton of time, I took the van to a recommended euro-auto mechanic who seemed to know what he was talking about. After first telling me that it needed new brake shoes because they were down to the metal ("funny" I said, "as the brake shoes have less than 15 miles on them..."), then telling me I had the brake shoes in the reverse positions (right shoe on the left, and vice versa), he then told me that the shoes were improperly constructed because the brake pads on both shoes are equal. He tells me there is supposed to be a short side and a long side. If not, then the brakes won't work.

I bought the shoes at the local Advance Auto parts. I don't think they were all that expensive. And, to be honest, after looking at the old brakes (which both had shorter, but equal length, pads on the shoe) I can't see how 1" less pad on the bottom of the shoe can affect the brakes. But, this guy swore up and down that that was the problem. I didn't have him do my brakes, as I had completely lost confidence in him. But, before I get in there and see what else could be the problem, I wanted to ask y'all if there is truth in this. Do I need to go find some more brake shoes; a set with a short side and a long side?

Thanks in advance!

-- Jason Swan 1991 Vanagon