Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 3 Jan 2011 13:10:30 -0800
From:   Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Stock "squeeze" hose clamps

Jeff, Jim's right on the money. Those are the ones I have and use constantly in my shop. It's a miracle tool. However, you will also want to get a pair without the cable as sometimes the cable one is just not gonna fit in the space where you need it to go. The ordinary spring hose clamp pliers are available at most all good FLAPS. AND, while we're on the subject of those spring hose clamps. I consider them to be the very best hose clamp, so don't get the false notion that you should discard them and use the cheese grater screwy clamps, NO GOOD in most cases. I will admit they do have their use now and then. So, one more thing I have learned about the spring hose clamps. In a lot of instances they cannot be opened enough to slide on the hose over the nipple boss, the intention I presume was to slide the hose with the hose clamp in it's proper place in unison. This is OK if you're installing them but when taking things apart after the hose has been there for 30 years, the hose will not budge and try to keep the clamp open and twist the hose is not possible in a lot of instances. So, here's the solution; cut the tab off the hose clamp that keeps it from opening wider than the stupid manufacturer intended ! I cut them all off when working with them,, new ones and old ones, ALL of them, The are then MUCH easier to manoeuvre. AND, one more thing, some lubrication on the hose make things easier also, Krown OIl, Fluid Film or Wurth Film are my choices. Now, go get yourself some spring clamp hose pliers and see what you've been missing. AND, if you need new spring hose clamps, VW still had them in stock last time I made an order. See my Vanagon New Parts webpage for listings of all the various sizes they have, under the "Cooling System" heading.

On 2011-01-03, at 11:41 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> Jeff, > > > http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-Cable-Operated-Hose-Clamp-Pliers-reviews > > They make another set that doesn't have the cable "remote: but this > will do probably everything.

Please note that I will be away from my business travelling from December 06 until April 30, 2011. Parts orders will be processed although not as quickly as usual. I will always be available for contact by E-mail. If you phone your call will be addressed by Greg T. Brown here and he will either call you back or advise you to contact me directly by E-mail. Details of this adventure are on our Travel Blog: http://frankcondelli.com/travels/

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 09 ~ 12, 2011