Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jan 2011 19:37:47 -0800
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Coolant Gauge Mystery

Hi Volks.... The tech who did the recent install of my rebuilt 2.1 wasserboxer is not at all happy with the coolant gauge. He installed a new sensor at the same time as the engine.  The old sensor never did work....hardly got out of the cold mark.  With the new sensor the gauge pegs north and the light blinks.....after a very short warm up period.  It shows a voltage drop down to 9.4V; ergo not the 10V it should be.  There is no overheating, the engine temps are perfect per the laser thermal gun. First thing he did was to replace the cluster voltage stabilizer with one I got from Bus Depot.  No luck.  Same voltage drop. Then I bought an entire instrument cluster from Jeff on the list, but that gauge does the same thing. Then he replaced the relay, I think # 3, but that didn't work either.  Oddly enough, when the relay is pulled the gauge still pegs/light blinks. Next thing, I suppose is to trace the wire all the way back to the sensor.  I think he already replaced the wire from the fuse box to the cluster.  Before he does that he will try another sensor. Does anyone have any other ideas?  It really is ok now.....engine runs great and doesn't overheat.  But eventually that gauge may be needed to save my rebuilt engine.....especially here in the summer Florida heat. BTW, the gas gauge reads just a bit low when full (maybe not really full) and the clock and all the lights work fine. Thanks, Anthony'89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)