Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jan 2011 17:49:52 -0800
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      FWD: TDI engine swaps
Comments: To: Diesel Vanagon <Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com>,
          vw-wet Wet <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>
Comments: cc: Britt Grannis <hillcountry@ctr.net>

Forwarded from my friend Britt Grannis (who's current in Ireland):

Hi Everyone, I'm currently sitting in the front room looking out at the rain falling. I'm very happy to see the rain as it melts the darned snow! I just got home last night from our AGM for one of the VW clubs here in Ireland. AGM is the Annual General meeting. I was talking to some of the guys trying to come up with ways to get parts here which we have in the US and then a way to get the parts we have here to the US.

I just bought a 2001 T4 Syncro 2.5 TDI. I got to thinking this would make a perfect vehicle to drive to Alaska and how could I get it to California. I have found a short term solution and can keep the Van there for 9 months. I also own a 96 Golf TDI and it is amazing what type of fuel mileage I get. I have a source for 20 to 30 Mk3 Golf, Bora, and Jetta TDI's. I can get TDI Passat's and even the 1.9 Td's as well as the 1.9 D engines.

Here's my question for the masses.

If I were to buy some of these cars and cut the front clip off and save the doors and rear bumper and ship them over would there be a market to sell them. I'd have available the complete engine, trans, ECU, wiring harness, dash cluster, foot pedal cluster, even all of the Right hand Drive components if someone had a Mk3 Golf to convert. I see in Las Vegas that there is a guy importing from Germany and he gets $2400 for a TDI engine and that's just starting. I will ship the whole front clip over and it should have everything but the engine to trans adapter for a Bus and you'd still have the trans to sell on to re-coop some costs. I think I can do this for $3000 landed in San Francisco and if I could get 4 orders I could deliver to Bustoberfest for fuel costs. BIG ???? Can I get enough people interested to make it worth my efforts?

Send me an email to hillcountry@ctr.net with TDI in the title and we can talk.

I hope everyone has a wonderful year!

Cheers,

Britt