Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2011 15:40:21 -0800
From:         Aaron <a.robinson.lists@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Front Spring install

Hello all.

I have some questions regarding our '87 Westy. I'm about to be replacing a ball joint that's failed - which I've done that before on another van and it wasn't too bad. I've ordered the parts and it made me start thinking of what else might help the soft-ish front end. Van drives well aside from the bad ball joint and a bit more roll than I'd like while cornering. Tires are good, shocks are Bilstein HD all the way around and the rear has been evened out with .75" spacers

A friend mentioned that he had some moog 5668 springs that he got and never installed. They are cheap ($50-ish) and stiffer than stock. I didn't find much in the vanagon archives, but thesamba has a number of threads and there are a few mentions of the 5660's and 5658's. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321336&start=40

It seems like it would lift it a little. Not a huge deal. Springs look stiffer which is certainly some of what I want. Unfortunately I would say that I know little to zero about what makes a van ride and drive well.

My questions would be: What does replacing the springs entail? Special tools/beer/friends/or??? Would this be made easier during a ball joint replacement? If major disassembly is required, are there other parts that should/could be replaced? Any ideas on what a shop would charge? Is this something that might be easier if they do it?

Most importantly... Would something like this potentially be a functional improvement in that it stiffens up the front end without having large drawbacks for round town/highway driving? Or, would this be the wrong approach?

Thanks for your input! Aaron '87 Westy