Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2011 20:12:17 -0800
From:         Markus Mumper <markusmumper@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Feb Baja trip to see the Whales!

My wife and I and some friends did that trip a few years ago.

We left our van (required Vanagon content) in San Ignacio though and went in our friends Ford pick up to go to this whale watching camp. We stayed in the tents described by Mark below.

The road was very washboardy and it was difficult to find the proper speed for semi-comfortable, non vehicle tearing apart travel. For those who are into it cacti make a few stops on the way to the coast to discover lots of amazing plants.

When we went on the pongas to visit the whales (yup, visit) they would come right up to the boats, the mothers would push their babies to us and we would pet them. One mature whale came under our boat upside down, straddled us with her fins and rocked us in an out of the water. I think she was scratching herself, freaked me out actually. At least the camp had all the beer you could drink included in the price and I drank heavily upon our return to land to calm the nerves.

This trip (at least our experience) is way recommended, we had a great time with lots of little adventures.

Markus and The Girl ('87 Westy in Pismo Beach)