Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jan 2011 20:54:26 -0800
From:         Peter DiFalco <peter.difalco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Van Profiling

It's been a long time since I told this story, so why not make the most of the end of a Friday and share?

My wife and I took a 6 month trip around the US and Canada in our '71 bus back in 2002. Got lots of friendly looks and even kinder welcome from many strangers, and even a few men and women of the law who were just ever so slightly glad to see Americans taking an interest in seeing the beauty and diversity of our land and people at an unsettling time, just after 9/11. The Alabama cops were less welcoming.

The way we piece it together in retrospect is this: a policeman saw us drive into a state campground for the night. We dutifully recorded both of our names and vehicle information on the state park check-in registry. In no other way could my wife (girlfriend at the time) be legally identified with our vehicle, as it was exclusively mine.

The cop, unbeknownst to us, puts out on the police network a "pretextual" bulletin (meaning, creates a pretext) declaring our names, vehicle information, and the juicy tidbit that we are transporting hundreds of pounds of California marijuana. Perhaps he had heard the story about the splitty that was sold to a new owner, frame packed with vintage ganja (how's that for "patina"?).

So we left the state park the next morning, on our way out of the beautiful and fascinating cradle of the civil rights movement (having visited such famous bastions of police civility as Selma and Birmingham), and three counties later we were cruising along comfortably though the back country highways as per VW transporter dictum, when we were pulled over by not one, not two, but three of the local police. They had in hand a printout of the pretextual bulletin, which according to AL state law gave him a reasonable suspicion and thus the legal right to search our vehicle. Which they did - carefully spreading all of our carefully packed belongings in a 25ft radius around the vehicle, and less carefully prying out my door and kick panels (breaking the hard board instead of pulling the clips). They told us that if they had found a large amount of cash, they would be arresting us and confiscating the cash due to the fact we had already conducted our transaction. So I was glad, at that moment, that we had elected not to stockpile cash for our adventures. Not to mention glad we had left those hundreds of pounds of marijuana at home in California instead of carrying it with us 2000 miles in a hippy van to thousands of grateful Alabama Rastafarians. I kept thinking about being in a jail cell and retaining Joe Pesci as my attorney (reference: "My Cousin Vinny").

The cops were, to their credit, polite and never cuffed us or mistreated us. They took three hours of our day, ruined my van interior, and shook my faith in our "system". Thanks, Alabama. As we left, my wife and I turned to each other, and in light of our previous day's historic landmark explorations, I said, "what if we'd been black?" She reminded me of the current climate of the nation in the wake of 9/11 and said, "what if we'd been Arabs?" I would like to think it wouldn't have mattered. I respect the police; they do a hard job, are there when I need them, and they don't solicit bribes like in other countries. But "pretexts" and profiling erode the pride I feel about this country, and it certainly became a standout memory whenever I think of Alabama.

Thanks for letting me do a little Friday ranting. -Peter Chico, CA