Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:56:11 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Best Wheel Weights????? (Advice Needed, Stick-Ons)
Comments: To: insyncro@YAHOO.COM

Isn't it also better to have the weight mass inboard instead of outboard, from a rotational standpoint?

I'm reminded of a friend of mine back in the early 70's that rigged up a standard timing light, a set of VW ignition points, and a high induction motor used for spinning wheels that were already on the vehicle(old school stuff) that he bought at an electrical motor repair shop for $15(unclaimed repair bill). He rigged up a wheel balancing setup with it and got so good at it that a local truck dealer was having him balance out heretofor impossible vibrations from their brand new trucks that the mega dollar machines couldn't get rid of. He got bored with it after a while and went on to something else. I think he taught the techs at the dealer how to do it themselves.

DM&FS.At 01:22 PM 1/3/2011, Dylan Friedman wrote: >I no longer use the clamp style weights and here's why...... > >They mark up the face of new alloys. > >If used on the inside lip of the wheel they will hang up on many of >the big brake kit calipers or touch the upright when certain >aftermarket wheels are used with tight ETs. > >Glue type weights can be fixed anywhere you need on the wheel as >long as it can be balanced. > >I have not had a single issue with glue type weights. > >Most automobiles in the upper price ranges use glue type weights for >some of the same reasons. > >Dylan > >-----Original Message----- >From: Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM> >Sender: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> >Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:53:26 >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Reply-To: Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM> >Subject: Best Wheel Weights????? (Advice Needed, Stick-Ons) > >How does one go about selecting the best wheel weights of the >stick-on variety? > >Do they make special ones for cold or hot weather so the glue sticks better? > >Should you just buy by price? > >I noticed that there are many materials used, lead, steel, powder >coated, etc. but haven't any line on how to shop for these things or >pick the best ones. > >Also, I noticed many different weights of them. > >Does one need to load up on a range of weights for flexibility? > >What are some good suggested weights? > > >_______________________________________________ >Derek Drew >Founder, ConsumerSearch.com >Washington DC / New York >derekdrew@derekmail.com >202-966-7907 (Call the number at left normally) > (alt/cell for diligent calling only): 703-408-1532