Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:02:23 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter/ground mystery-88 GL 4sp
Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

re Alternately: is there any reason not to just install a ground point in the engine bay that is wired directly to the neg. battery terminal, bypassing the chassis ground?

sure, you can add all the ground cables and wires you want. there's no such thing as 'too good ground connections.'

needless to say, the two most important ones associated with the engine/transmission are ....... the main one at the front of the trans ...to the frame there. Those can deteriorate , corrode etc. The current flow in the ground connections is not very large, except during starter cranking .... which is why you want that nice fat ground cable there working nicely and properly. And with vangons' nice ground clearance, it's not even hard to get under there and re-do it. Nice clean shiny metal, perhaps dielectric grease etc.

the next most important one is the one on the left cylinder head ...going to the body on the left side. Those can corrode easily too, but not that hard to fix.

one good trick to help ground connections is to get some of those 'star' lock washers...like with 8 or 10 sharp points on them. You put that under the ground cable ...like between cable and thing you're grounding it to. Those points dig in and really help make a good connection. Learned this trick from a factory installation ..tail light grounds on a 1970 Renault 16. Been doing that ever since I noticed that back in the 70's. Works just bomber.

if you've ever cranked an engine on the starter with nothing but the throttle cable for a ground ... it's fun to see the throttle cable glow red hot. So make sure ....good grounds everywhere.

the small ground wires on the left head are for fuel injection and ignition. You can not clean and tighten and re-do ground connections too much.

so sure, add another ground wire if you want. But also fix the stock original ones. They work quite well when maintained. Btw ....I recommend just stray down the entire engine with WD-40 once in a while.. not inside the alternator ..but everything else...every wire, every metal and rubber part .. coil and spark plug wires etc......WD-40 is good for all that stuff...at least in my last 30+ years experience. That stuff can save your life it's so useful.

might try this sometime with a ground connection - measure the voltage drop across it. Ideally we want all say 12 volts in a 12 volt DC circuit to be used by the device, the consumer, the bulb or whatever..and zero volts are dropped in that circuit by the wires, switch, grnd point etc. Of course each has a little resistance ..so perhaps only 11.5 volts are used by the consumer or device. To check how much voltage is being dropped across a ground point, energize the circuit. Put your voltmeter on millivolt scale and connect the clips to each side of the grnd point. You want to see no more than 300 millivolts being dropped or consumed across that ground point, as a general rule. If it's higher than that ....clean and fix that ground point. I haven't ever tried it with a ground connection that's carrying starter current ...but I could imagine enough resistance on a bad one that a whole volt is being used there, rather than by the starter . Corrosion is a major enemy of our 20 + year old beauties. I wish we had a 6 inch deep trough of WD-40 to drive through in rough environments.....coming to and from home. That would sure help !

Electrical contact can be illusive. I've seen a million times in cars where two pieces of metal that are supposed to conduct, are clearly touching each other ..yet not making contact. Anyway ..clean them grounds and make sure they're working really well ! And in oddball cases I add redundant ground wires sometimes.

Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Sutton" <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:41 AM Subject: Starter/ground mystery-88 GL 4sp