Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:56:32 -0800
From:         Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bumpers
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

Hi Troy,

That's my Titan Red Westy on the Van Café's web site with the new Van Café BIG bumpers (aka Rocky Mountain Westy Twin Peaks bumpers). I have never owned a set of GW bumper so I cannot make a true and accurate comparison.

My pros and cons:

Pros They look and feel heavier/stronger than the GW bumpers I seen and touched. (check out the RMW videos on YouTube!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXP3cqfkEus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sKcEEhq6uc&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvsurvK0sCc&feature=related

The rear bumper has a built in step that's a bit easier to get my foot up to than the main section and is perfect for reaching the roof and for kneeling on while working in the engine compartment.

The front bumper is wide enough for my size 11 foot to stand comfortably on to reach into the luggage rack and strong enough to support my manly weigh without distortion or movement of any kind.

RMW offers some very nice bolt-on accessories like tow hooks, a swing away spare tire carrier and gerry can or cooking/grilling shelf. (Maybe someday) They come in sections that allow for less expensive shipping.

If I were to somehow damage my bumpers I can easily replace/repair just the damaged section (s), not the entire bumper.

Cons I don't particularly care for the bright stainless steel hardware that comes with RMW's bumpers.

The hardware is very high quality BUT it is SAE, not metric (pet peeve).

You must drill two additional mounting holes when installing the front mounting brackets. This was not difficult for me but it might be for others.

There's no pre-drilled holes for mounting a front license plate (required in WA State). I am capable of drilling these holes BUT I would have preferred that the plate holes were power coated during the manufacturing process. End cons

I learned a few things regarding the installation process that were not in the original instructions. Nothing big but I'm fussy. To me the pros greatly outweigh the cons and I have no regrets.

I have a few additional photos that are not on the Van Café web site if anyone is interested (p-mail please).

Andrew