Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:22:16 -0800
From:         Don Hundt <dhundt@BENDBROADBAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bumpers
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Scott, I think the main reason some folks want bigger bumpers is that they look better than a flimsy bumper that bends in a stiff breeze. I fail to see how a larger bumper would make one less safe in the type of crash where a bumper would be involved. I'm not an automotive engineer, but I would suspect that VW didn't spec those bumpers as part of the crumple zone, but rather as a cost-saving measure. If the bumper mounts to the same point as stock, it seems to me the same energy would be transferred to the body of the van as with stock bumpers. They are both mounted solidly to the "frame" of the van, with no energy absorption between components. The only issue I can see is in the event of a glancing blow, where the stock bumpers would fold up, the larger bumper would hold, possibly transferring damage upstream to the mounting point. Either way, though, you will end up with body damage. Don

----- Original Message ----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:48 pm Subject: Re: Bumpers