Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:16:48 -0700
From:         Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Question On the Audi Wheels

> > Braking is actually one of the reasons that some of us put bigger wheels on > our vans Dave. Bigger wheels mean that we can install bigger front disc > brakes to replace the marginal units fitted at the factory. > (snip) > I think the Subaru engine in concert with bigger and wider > wheels and tires and larger and more effective brakes, makes my van a much > safer and more pleasant vehicle to drive everyday. > >> I do hope >> that all those who make changes are doing so within reasonable safety >> limits, for example regarding tire diameters and braking capacity. >> >>

I like the HUGE difference in BOTH off-roading capabilities and braking. Larger diameter tires roll over obstacles much more easily than smaller diameter tires. It's the primary reason that you ALWAYS see much larger diameter tires on off road specific vehicles. Syncro's specifically benefit from these upgrades. Two of the change features I noticed immediately were vehicle stability at any speed, and the absence of harshness to the ride. Smaller diameter tires "fall into" every little crack and surface undulation and react to it. Larger diameter tires roll over most of it.

The rationale that these vehicles were designed almost 4 decades ago, and last produced for consumption here at least 2 decades ago, hits at the heart of the "why change the original engineers design" of these vehicles. It's simply an uncomparable argument for this (me) Volk. I have NO engineering capabilities but believe it's reasonable that those VW engineers would be making design changes to our "beloved" as they did to the Eurovan in regard to this thread topic. Look what they did to the Syncro 16, as an example. I don't believe the changes/upgrades that many of us have made has been a departure from the VW "brain-trust" designs in any significant way.

Bob Stevens '87 Syncro Westy Subaru H6/3.0 w/Audi 5000 BB