Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:13:49 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Odd sound from rear end...(not Friday and no smart 'subject'
              remarks please)

I have an 84 with a 5sp diesel tranny and an inline VW gas motor..have had for about 3 yrs now..with this sound coming from the drive line, occasionally, ever since I got the van...I have done a lot of work involving the driveline during my ownership. I still hear this sound every so often, without any perceivable change in the way it presents itself or in the sound itself...at least nothing I can detect. Here's what happens...

When I have let the clutch out totally and then accelerate strongly or accelerate up a steep pitch from a slow slow speed, in either 1st gear (a semi crawler gear that I rarely use) or in my second gear (my normal starting gear) I get a sound like when you drive over a grated bridge deck, or a vibration like when you encounter those sound strips they sometimes inscribe in some highways... Kind of a gnarly buzzy sound that only comes with a big load at low speeds and low RPMs...So if I punch it in 2nd gear at 15+ mph...smooth acceleration only...But if I am on a sharp incline and going say..2-5mph and hit it, I get that 'bridge-deck buzz' until I gain speed or lessen the acceleration. It does not seem to be clutch-related...It happens after the clutch is fully engaged, or even if I decelerate in gear without using the clutch and then give it the pedal...

I recently replaced my engine, new clutch, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and had the inner CV joints out a couple of times. They looked good with plenty of grease and no damage to the boots. The sound did not change after having all that apart' multiple times. I did check and re-grease the outer CV joints about 2 yrs ago, but I have not had those apart since..At that time, they looked OK, however, I have no real way to judge that other than what I have read.

I am thinking maybe I should simply do a couple of those axle/cv kits and see if that stops that noise...which I suspect might be the outer CV joints.

I am thinking 'not tranny' because the sound is unaltered by gear selection and there are no alarming sounds nor did anything bad come out during any of my tranny fluid changes. No problems with gear changes, either.

Do my outer CV joints have the capacity to cause this sound? Am I on the right track, do you think? Thanks in advance..

Don Hanson