Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:02:08 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW Van Profiling
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>

At 10:44 AM 1/10/2011, Steven Johnson wrote: >The other profiling is when a will be passing a driver along a freeway and >when they notice I'm passing, they speed up.

I think that's completely unconscious and makes no difference what you're driving. I've seen it happen over and over for decades, driving many different vehicles. It may be a particular type of driver that does it, but I don't think they're aware of it.

I have met I think one individual who simply didn't want me to pass him, for reasons that must have seemed good to him at the time. Since we were slithering around on Pennsylvania 81 at midnight in a snowstorm, he in an MGB and I in a Fiat 128 he was easily able to accomplish this. Made little difference - after a while he couldn't go any more because nobody in front of him could go any more, and we spent the next fifteen hours there buried in snow to our necks; or more specifically up to the beltline of the Fiat. Around noon the State of PA came around in snow machines handing out quarts of milk, and took out a baby that needed help; and way way way down the hill behind us they were digging cars out with a Pay-Loader. But the not yet famous fantasy novelist Robin McKinley and her former not yet husband and I dug that light little car out and turned it around and mushed it down the hill down a set of 4x4 tracks. Took us a couple-three hours I think, but I bet it would have taken twelve hours for the official crew to reach us. Then we drove quick as a bunny to my aunt in Washington (Twp?) NJ, and Robin practically flew to the head. Twenty-year-old girls have both remarkable strength and odd sense of priorities, sometimes...it was three or four in the afternoon and we'd left Dickinson College in Carlisle PA at something like eight the night before. She'd started mentioning it around breakfast time. '71, this would have been.

Yours, David