Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jan 2011 11:52:13 -0800
From:         Solomon Schechter <brexcavator@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Van Profiling
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

I drove a 67 Split window across the states and through Mexico starting in 95, ending in 98 with an accident in Ohio. I never once got pulled over or inspected. I entered and exited well over 50 Phish shows and other festivals during that time. I almost got pulled in for an inspection just South of Tijuana. My Spanish skills and twenty bucks kept me out of Mexican Jail that time. I lost my Generator in a Blizzard in PA in 97. The cops pushed my bus down to a safe spot, brought me warm coffee, food and smokes for three days before AAA could come and haul me back to my friends shop in Erie.

I had Montana plates and no drivers license or insurance. I got lots of stares, but most people looked at is a classic and me as some crazy dread locked, patchwork wearing, stinky custodian of this relic. I was viewed as more of a circus act than anything. Folks in crazy states like Oklahoma, Missinghippy, Texas would gather around and ask questions as I fueled up or adjusted my valves. I met many cool people that way.

My Vanagon has a Good Sam club sticker, my hair is shorter, and my clothes factory made. I get pulled over all the time now.. luckily i have a liscence, registration, proof of insurance and a clean record after all that. Happy trails all!

________________________________ From: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sat, January 8, 2011 11:26:04 AM Subject: Re: VW Van Profiling

I've a friend like you and Brady. He got seriously hassled in Mississippi and Louisiana. Nowadays he's all nerves and eyeballs when he crosses those states.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 1/8/2011 11:17 AM, miguel pacheco wrote: > Let's see..... > I was Puerto Rican in Detroit > I was Cuban in Key West > I was Mexican in the great nation of Texas > I'm dark > I've been driving VWs since 1970 > Do some simple math and you know I've been hassled by the man more > than once. Not as many times as Brady (I think they go by shade!) > . > I was stopped in Mexico a couple of years ago, driving my Syncro SVX > AW, doing 85mph. This bad ass, big boy cop was nothing but nastyness, > until he thought he recognized my accent and he asked me, > 'Where are you from?' > 'Argentina,' says I..... > 'Ahhhh,' he responds with a big smile, 'from the land of Che?' > 'Si, si,' says I. > Immediately, he steps back and gestures, 'my land is your land....' > and away I go...zoom zoom. > > > Miguel > > He who possesses art and science has religion; he who does not possess > them, needs religion. > Johann Wolfgang von Goethe > >