Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jan 2011 15:49:47 EST
From:         Dale Ward <MrNegNRG@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Van Profiling

Well, here's my only story in 39 years of VW driving, generally citizens and law enforcement have been helpful, curious, and admiring of my various buses, vans and Westfalias.

Back when my '90 Westfalia was new the wife, kids and myself went on our annual trip to Disney World where her niece worked and got us free admission. On the way back, wanting to avoid I-95, we thought we'd use US-17. As we crossed the Florida/Georgia line we passed an agricultural inspection/weigh station. I'm still not sure what state we were in, but the station master ran out of the building, motioned us over and informed me that I was guilty of a second degree misdemeanor for by-passing a weigh station. I tried to explain that I had passenger plates, there was no weight on the registration, this wasn't a commercial vehicle and we didn't have any fruit on board--oops, my wife was eating an apple at the time. I'm sure the Massachusetts plates didn't help much either. Well, I got a pretty good tongue lashing, "we're looking for more than fruit", was told to move on, but next time I see a weigh station I better pull in. I never did pull into another weigh station, even though I was curious to see what the camper weighed, and I've been to Florida many times since then, although not on US-17.

Dale Ward Shrewsbury MA Mr. Negative Energy Sometime LiMBO Club House Keeper