Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:36:47 -0700
From:         "Joe T." <vanagon85@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Ronals, Michelins, and Bilsteins

Hi List,

After several years of hard searching and missed chances, I finally got a set of Ronal R9's last month.

They're 15x7 ET 23, mounted on Michelin Agilis 205 65 15's. I've always loved these wheels and have been trying to find a set forever. While silver was my original choice, the set I found have a very well-done gunmetal grey finish.

I installed them recently, along with new ball joints and Bilstein HD's from Van Cafe over the weekend. I also completey rebuilt my rear brakes, installed a new stereo (Pioneer DEH-3200UB), rewired the subwoofer, and added three-point harnesses in the back. I'm sore and my knuckles are bloody, but it was more fun than I have since, well, the last time I dedicated a weekend to working on my Vanagon.

I have to say that the combination of Bilstein struts and the larger wheels/higher offset/lower profile tires make a big difference in the way the van tracks, handles, and feels. I was excited about our high winds in Denver today; I was able to get out on the highway and was astounded by the stability. It really does drive like a completely different vehicle.

(This stuff replaced 14" Carat alloys with BFG 27x8.5 14's and five year-old Boge struts.)

Here are a couple of pics. Apologies for the crappy cell phone quality.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/762601.jpg

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/762600.jpg

Cheers, Joe T. '85 Wolfsburg Westy Subie 2.2