Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:11:14 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: first time buyer
Comments: To: Brad Pauly <bpauly@GMAIL.COM>

A number of folks have already given advice and I'll add some more perspective. I may come across a bit negative but I am really trying to raise awareness. Good preparation both financially and mechanically are keys to really enjoying these fine vehicles.

All vehicles for sale have one thing in common. Their current owners no longer want them. Your mission is to find out why. Resellers are there to profit from the transaction from past owner to new owner. Some add value, many don't. Most hide why it was for sale to begin with.

Whatever you pay consider it the down payment or cost of admission. The more you do on your own, the better. If you need to outsource work do not expect to pay list vendor prices on parts and most labor will be ~$100/hour. Get a good towing plan if you plan to travel far from home. This goes for any vehicle.

Low mileage is not always a good thing. Things that sit unused fall apart when pressed into service.

Yes 86 and up is desirable. Larger engine, better cooling system including oil cooler, larger front brakes, usually power steering. Better fuse box, larger battery cable, etc.

85 and earlier with 4 speed do offer better fuel economy, especially without power steering or AC. Avoid air cooled. Some of this don't matter if you're considering engine upgrade anyway.

Look for rust. Any rust also means rusty brake lines and power steering lines. Tires say a lot. Wrong tires is a good indication of overall unknowledgeable care. Check all the fluids. Has brake and power steering fluid ever been changed. If possible and you need a good engine, compression, leak-down, oil pressure, and oil analysis.

Suspension. Any rubber components not recently replaced will need attention. Front radius rod and lower control arm mounts in addition to ball joints become labor intensive fast.

Body work and window-door seals. Interior and exterior overall condition.

Good luck with your search,

Dennis