Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:36:14 -0800
From:         Mark Hineline <hineline@OCOTILLOFIELD.NET>
Subject:      Re: first time buyer
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

I love to tinker with my Vanagon. My favorite thing to do is to make everything work as it did when it was on the showroom floor. This past weekend I spent an inordinate amount of time making the fasten seatbelts light work. I found the relay (without a buzzer), and it comes on when I put the key in the ignition, then off when I turn the key. That's not right.

Anyway, my point is that a detail that most people would overlook is a challenge that I pursue until I get closure (if you want to know why, read some work by the psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi). Most people wouldn't care about this.

Then, when I get it to stock, I modify it.

Call it a sickness.

The most important rule of Vanagon ownership is: never drive it farther than you can afford to have it towed, back, if something should happen. That's basically between $1.00 and $2.00 a mile.

Mark