Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:50:10 -0700
From:         Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: first time buyer

On Jan 18, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Dave McNeely wrote:

>> having >> been spoiled by things like Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic, that >> never break.

I could have easily said that about my BRAND NEW '88 Westy when I bought it in '88. I don't think I've heard expressed here, a more entirely "apples vs tires" analogy than that one pasted above? Puzzling to me what the actual motive is? Alistair is absolutely correct: "Think about it, the "newest" Vanagon is now almost 20 years old. It is unreasonable to expect the van to be trouble free." I'm not aware of ANY 20 year-old vehicle, used as much as most of our Van's are, that don't require considerable maintenance, time, $$.

If I had the dissatisfaction that "some" here express, I'd be gone in a heart beat, buy another more modern, less-maintenace-requiring vehicle and hit the road ..... unless my motives were other than simply enjoying my travels in a trouble-free vehicle.

bob