Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:09:30 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: first time buyer
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Alistair, I understand. I am willing for now to put up with what it takes to be able to have and use the camper. When it isn't worth it any more, I'll do something else. I just thought this ought to be clear to any naive person.

Dave

---- Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > Dave, > > Think about it, the "newest" Vanagon is now almost 20 years old. It is > unreasonable to expect the van to be trouble free, especially compared > to "things like Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic, that never break." > > And westies need more maintenance. I look at them as if they were > boats. Try buying a 20 year old boat that sleeps 2, has a galley, and > and expect then to do no work on it. :) > > Vanagons in all there forms are not for everyone. I'm one of those who > love mucking around fixing things on mine, I know other owners who > don't and have pro. mechs. do the work. I do wince a little when > someone that I suspect don't want to take either path asks me about > vanagon ownership. > > alistair > > > > On 18-Jan-11, at 10:47 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > I guess I'll have to say at this point that the following post from > > Matt illustrates something that any prospective Vanagon buyer > > without Vanagon experience should consider. The folks who seem to > > enjoy Vanagons the most are those who are either mechanics or want > > to be mechnics, and who just enjoy getting their hands greasy and > > barked up for the sake of working on a vehicle themselves. This > > even extends to the point of some (though not most) of them > > resorting to ridicule towards those of us who just want to have a > > vehicle that works to do what we want it to do. For them, it is all > > about the opportunity to work (and redesign and rework even) a van > > that some of us would just like to be able to reliably used, having > > been spoiled by things like Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic, that > > never break. > > > > I have grown to like my camper a lot, and my wife likes it even more > > than I do. But the things can be a real trial, and only someone > > willing to put up with that, or even better, to love it, should > > consider one. It is not for the sake of the trials and tribulations > > that we like the camper, but for what it can do for us. But a good > > many others seem to love the trouble, and to love constant dickering > > with the beast. And though some will say, particularly in response > > to anyone stating otherwise, that the vehicle is easy to maintain > > and easy to diagnose, and easy to work on, there are probably very > > few people for whom that is true. > > > > McNeely >

-- David McNeely