Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:35:40 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@DEREKMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Charcoal Canister Dangers and Docs

I have been warned by people that there is a significant danger when plumbing the hoses related to the charcoal canister that if you allow the vent hoses from the gas tank to be crushed or blocked, then the gas tank can self destruct after a drive when it cools down by sucking itself into a ball.

Apparently, when the gas tank is plastic as in syncros, it has a chance of not being destroyed by this but will just pop back into shape, as happened to Karl Mullendore. However, you cannot start the vehicle until the suction condition is resolved.

Understanding the charcoal canister system so you can properly plumb it in a conversion is a pain because the documentation is so confusing and scattered.

In fact, it seems like one of the Bentley pages isn't even in Bentley at all, but is glued onto the relay box in the engine compartment.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_tcfhlV6J8Y0/TS3l7xJqCPI/AAAAAAAAAng/xU6-D5UY37g/s912/DSC01277.JPG

This picture is from the 2.1L engine bay. I am sure many people reading this has seen it many times.

Germans have written me for intstructions on how to hook up the charcoal canister, and I was very disappointed to tell them I couldn't make heads of tails out of it because I didn't think to look around for a Bentley page inside the engine compartment.

I have heard of cases where the charcoal canister goes bad and something like a screen breaks and bits of charcoal travel through the fuel hoses in the vehicle and destroy the fuel system.

If charcoal bits travel out of the canister, they can only go either into the gas tank, where they would be filtered, or into the intake air distributor, where they would enter the air supply and make their way to the injectors possibly. Perhaps someone who had a failure of the charcoal canister with disasterous results could comment on what happens.

These results sound bad enough that if I decide to connect my charcoal canister, I'd be tempted to put little fuel filters on every hose going into or out of it after hearing of these stories. But it also seems possible that if the fuel filters got clogged, one could end up with a crumpled up gas tank and be back to square 1.

If you are ever doing a conversion and want the option to retain the charcoal canister and understand its function and hoses so you can connect it correctly to the new engine, you might want to print this out and insert it into your Bentley at page 20.33. In addition, you should check Bentley pages 20.34 and maybe 24.24b, and maybe page 12 of the Digifant I/Digifant II ProTraining manual from 12/88. These page references are oriented toward digifant syncros so there are some others besides this.

You could annotate page 20.33 to identify a little better the function of each hose so you can figure out what the heck is supposed to be happening.

A crude annotated page is here:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_tcfhlV6J8Y0/TTbxUqWCKaI/AAAAAAAAAuo/G3p5lA6DfAI/s720/Vaanapaloozaaaa%20018.jpg

which you are welcome to print out or transscribe. On the computer, I couldn't read this until I opened the picture in my web browser and then VIEW > ZOOM > 200%. The notes are trying to say this:

1. The little hose at the top of the canister is where the gas vapors from the gas tank are entering the canister.

2. The big hose at the bottom of the canister is where the canister gets its fresh air supply, the supply being provided by a hose that runs to a point after the air filter in the engine compartment.

3. The big hose at the top is the exit point where the gas vapors are sucked away to go back into the engine for combustion.

4. In the engine compartment there is a valve in the forward right corner of the engine compartment with one big hose and two little hoses.

5. The big hose I just referred to in #3 and #4 is supplying the gas vapors from the carbon canister to this valve.

6. One of the smaller hoses routs the air into the engine intake air for combustion, and the other of the smaller hoses opens the valve and operates it via vacuume pressure it gets from the distributor.

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew Founder, ConsumerSearch.com Washington DC / New York derekdrew@derekmail.com 202-966-7907 (Call the number at left normally) (alt/cell for diligent calling only): 703-408-1532