Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:15:43 -0800
From:         Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Euro Safety and Emission Requirements was Just like a
              Vanagon, but modern..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Well. I was talking about manufacturers, not individuals. If an individual wants something odd, they have to go through a Registered Importer.

Jeff

From: Don Hanson [mailto:dhanson928@gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:23 AM To: Jeff Schwaia Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Euro Safety and Emission Requirements was Just like a Vanagon, but modern..

Yeah but when you go to register an unusual vehicle in the US...You get into it. I considered a Syncro from BC once until I inquired about the reality of getting it registered in Washington State. It was not on some 'approved' list or something....all of a sudden, regardless of what the laws actually read, it became an expensive and uncertain process to buy that vehicle and get a plate on it....Law--Schmaw!...if some little bureaucrat somewhere is going to 'decide' to make a point of it, because that is what THEY do for a living, I don't have the funding or the time to fight through all the obstacles they are capable of inserting into the process...

I like the 'end-run' to deal with jerks in the system...I encountered a jerk in my local DMV county office....so I went to another county, around that guy and got my legalities done with no problems..If I could have a Canadian friend "own" an un-Federalized off-brand vehicle FOR me, then maybe I could drive what I really liked without spending thousands of extra $ to get the stickers and exemptions... Don Hanson