Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:14:51 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment (searched)
Comments: To: Ry <rylincoln@gmail.com>

One thing I hadn't done on previous install was to check for play while finding the sweet spot of torque on nut.

I was surprised (newb still) at how small the increment of turn on nut is before it's too tight, or too loose creating a smidge of feel-able play on the push/pull. Along those lines, I would turn nut *just* past point where washer could be easily moved, (Bentley method) then back until play felt, then a little tighter and so on til I was certain play was gone but washer would move.

A rough fraction, for point of reference for other newbs, was 1/12 of a turn made a big difference either way.

This was done with wheel off.

After preload, I found that just "after" the play was gone, the washer was more or less easily moved with the hand/finger on screwdriver method (Bentley). This makes more sense to me now.

The question about self tightening nut may have applied, as there was a stamp on the ones I used, but, one had been peened ever so slightly. This was rubbing a little as nut was turned. The nut looks almost brand new and I peened the other side.

Thanks for the info Ry,

Neil.

On 1/19/11, Ry <rylincoln@gmail.com> wrote:

> In addition to the above step I push in and pull out on the wheel to check > for any play. Ideally you want no push pull play and the wheel to spin > freely by hand, i.e. not coming to a quick stop once you cease pushing it > with your hand. > > ....Finding that point > with no added resistance caused by over torquing and no push pull play.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines