Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:55:14 -0800
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: first time buyer
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

I am a VW van lover, not a car reseller. I still sell one from time to time when circumstances dictate. I generally won't sell one to a starry eyed fool who has no idea what they are getting into. They are free to ask questions and I will try to answer them, but that assumes they even know what they are asking about and what the answers mean. I am not interested in teaching every prospective buyer about old cars and how they differ from new cars. I sold an old Westy of mine recently and I rejected some interested buyers for their own good when their total ignorance became apparent. Even ones who then tried to offer more than my asking price to let them buy it.

Mark

Dave Mcneely wrote: > - > > "unless they uncovered a real issue that I was unaware of >> and hadn't already allowed for." > > But you would not give them a chance to uncover the "real issue." You may feel justified in your behavior, but if your vehicle is what you represent it to be, then you should help the buyer to come to understand that particular vehicle, on terms that the buyer can benefit from. If you are not willing to do that, then why are you in the business of selling a vehicle? You give, by your attitude, prospective buyers reason not to trust that your vehicle is as you represent it. > > I am not a complete idiot about vehicles, and I do have legitimate concerns in dealing with a person I do not know. Anyone who doesn't understand that ............ . > > I have walked from sellers who would not answer my questions, and I will do so again. "Why are you selling the vehicle?" is something to give the buyer the boot for? Good grief .............. . The buyer doesn't know if you are a reseller of one vehicle after another that you grab up from wherever you can get them, and try to flip them as soon as possible, or someone who is selling his old, beloved, and well cared for honey bucket. > > mcneely > >