Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:22:46 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Please no politics..  Stop NOW!!
Comments: To: Solomon Schechter <brexcavator@YAHOO.COM>

At 09:41 AM 1/21/2011, Solomon Schechter wrote: >Please, please, please.. This is the only place in the world where >I don't have >to watch mom and dad fight over who is funnier, Leno or >Letterman.. Please, pet >your own viper all you want, but go talk about it somewhere >else. This forum is >for the Vanagon and those things associated with it. don't ruin it with one >more response.. PUSH THE RESET BUTTON

Dear Solomon,

The reset button has been pushed, twice. If a third push is needed Ben and I will be thinking seriously about sanctions.

If your interests run that way you might consider joining the model engineering list. It's a similarly sized similarly international list but with much wider distribution around the world, and there is a similar sense of community. A number of the members are prominent in their respective fields. There are a few differences, other than model engineering vs Vanagons: the great bulk of the membership is age 50 or over, because few people under fifty have the patience for model engineering. The forbidden topics are Weetabix and Foucault pendulums. Bottom posting and trimming of quotes are required. Nobody ever breathes a word about politics. Nobody. Ever. The language tends slightly more toward the shop, in a genteel sort of way. Civility is taken for granted. In over ten years on the list I've seen exactly one sharp response. And I believe the list owner has put on his official hat once but I can't think why. It's remarkable, really. But first, that list is something that every member holds precious, because the people there understand him (or in two or three cases her) much better than the people he generally associates with. Second, it only spans about two generations instead of four. And third, machinist work is for patient people, so the people on the list are generally speaking patient. It took at least fifty or sixty knee-jerk "if you were using Linux you wouldn't have this problem" responses over several years from a member in Paraguay before another member asked him to please pipe down.

Yours, David