Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:42:04 -0600
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Brake adjustment will even itself out when you press on the pedal.

But there is more than brake adjustment to consider.

If the brake cylinder is a different diameter, the shoes are different or the drum size is different you will have uneven braking and this could cause a dangerous situation in the rain, ice or snow.

The original poster already addressed the cylinder size - they are the same. What about the rest?

Tom www.towercooler.com

Chanced upon your other post. Now this post makes sense in spite of the somewhat limited subject line. <grin>

I would think running one side with properly set up self adjusting rear brakes and the other side non self adjusting, is asking for trouble. If Bay side brakes allowed too far out of adjustment, slamming on the brakes would cause the rear end to swerve. (one "foot pinned", the other less or none). And, properly set up rears help a lot with maintaining correct pedal height.

Hypothetically speaking, I wonder if it's possible to disarm the self adjust feature on the Vanagon side??

Not that I'd recommend that though. Personally it's enough of a minor PITA to adjust the self adjusting so they're the same on each side let alone introduce potential problems going against original design.

Neil.

On 1/21/11, Mark L. Hineline <hineline@ocotillofield.net> wrote: > Sorry, I meant for this to go out under "Brake" > > You're just kidding, right? DPO installed this. Cylinder is the same, > the brakes work. Seems to me that the only downside in the short term > is that I have adjust this side manually, while the other side self > adjusts. > > Mark >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engine s