Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:18:11 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Back to. Re: Just like a Vanagon, but modern..

All that political stuff aside...the Toyota HiAce Cruisin Cabin is still around my area, as is that smaller even more square BC diesel 'sumpthin' that I can never seem to corner to get a look at it..Both of these vehicles are Canadian plates and both seem to be doing just about the same as my Vanagon....Camping quite well in the desert.

The HiAce is slightly longer than a westie...mabye a foot, and it looks like the overhangs are shorter (wheelbase would be longer) This particular one is badged "Cruisin Cabin" and it seems like that may be an aftermarket conversion or perhaps done by that company for Toyota...it looks much like a Westphalia..from what I have been able to see in passing. I am gonna try to get some pics and have a chat with the owners, should we ever coincide parked locations. It looks to have more ground clearance than a Vanagon...kinda Syncro-like...but this one has some skirts and steps like a Carat...I have seen it on the highway doing 70+/- so even though it is diesel, it looks to be adequate in cruising speed.

Now my gummint rap: Why shouldn't a vehicle that is safe and clean and green enough for our Canadian neighbors be OK for us to own and use in the US? It seems like the Federal standards are a bunch of hooie! They seem to lose track of the fact that stuff that works fine everywhere else in the world will also work fine here...and then they go insist that unless the carmakers PAY...to have these things looked at and re-approved by our US agencies..too...they can't sell em here and we can't go get them anywhere else and bring them here on our own...Verbooten!

Lottsa neat clean green efficient vehicles for sale out there that are excluded for no reason except they haven't paid the US fee to be allowed into the US...It would seem more in our national interest to let these more fuel efficient and cleaner vehicles be easily owned and driven by everyone in the US...

OK...nuff a that... Don Hanson