Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:47:04 -0800
From:         Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Back to. Re: Just like a Vanagon, but modern..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Other countries have the same sort of rules. Do you really think you can buy a 2011 Dodge Challenger in the USA, take over to Europe and register it at your local DMV equivalent?

And yes, it is correct what I said about being manufacturers being self certified. I work with the NHTSA on a regular basis and am currently in the middle of getting a company in Europe set up as a manufacturer. It's part of what I do.

As for the EPA mileage rating, etc. There is a formula that is provided by the EPA that the manufacturer must use when testing for mileage ratings. Generally, they will use an "EPA Certified" laboratory for this testing. However, some of the larger manufacturers have their own labs.

Crash test ratings, etc., are usually provided by the insurance institute. Pretty sure that's done so they can charge appropriately.

Jeff

From: Don Hanson [mailto:dhanson928@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 4:47 PM To: Jeff Schwaia Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Back to. Re: Just like a Vanagon, but modern..

You mean all this stuff about 'crash testing' 'side impact' 'certified EPA mileage ratings' etc etc etc...that is all left up to the manufacturers? I don't think that is right, but I could be wrong there...maybe they just say 'stuff" and if the Government finds them lying, they get fined?

But the question I have is if you want to buy an 'un-approved' vehicle and drive it and own it in the US, Yes, when the rest of the world finds these vehicles quite acceptable........ in fact they often perform in a more effective and environmentally friendly fashion that the vehicles we are legally allowed to own and drive....why should we be Verboten from many many good vehicles?

If a Canadian or a Swiss or French couple can come to the US, bringing their Toyota HiAce or their Subaru boxer diesel and drive around here, polluting less and using less fuel, why should we be Verboten from doing the same? Why are we forbidden from paying our license and registration fees and keeping that vehicle here as ours? Makes no sense. So what if the speedo reads in kilometers and the gas tank in liters...If we speed, give us a ticket. If we run out of fuel, it is because we are dumb... So what if you can't get a part at NAPA, Shucks or a dealer...There are plenty of vehicles and other pieces of machinery that demand we go to the country of origin to get replacement parts...

If it's not been certified in a 'side-impact test'....would you die any more quickly than if you got T-boned on a Harley? I find it ludicrous that because the vehicle is not "approved for sale"...however it happens to be mandated in our law....then we aren't allowed to use them here in the US while the Rest Of the World is allowed to use them..no problemo..

Global Economy....does that concept only work one way? We can "shop" your job around all over the world, hire anywhere we can find someone to work for less, but you can't shop around world wide and find the best available vehicle to drive?

Don Hanson