Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:18:25 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Finally got 4th door on my 16" Doka
Comments: To: "syncrodoublecabs@yahoogroups.com"
          <syncrodoublecabs@yahoogroups.com>

It's been a long journey from a decrepit Tristar in Swedish junkyard where the door and surrounding material was cut. From there, it travelled to Poland until there was time to get it shipped. Next stop was Hamburg where it hitched a ride in a US bound container. Destination: Southern California. There were a few more hassles before the I was able to fetch the parts and bring them home to San Francisco. Then it just sat for a few years just because I could not find any shop willing to undertake the project.

Late in 2010, I mentioned the project to a friend of mine. He jokingly said, he would do the job. He said it would be cheap if I let him take his time. Tried to get him to work on it before SdM. The old panel came out but nothing else whilst SdM came and went.

Last week, I asked he thought it was possible to get it done by tomorrow for Burningvan. He said, "Sure." I really wasn't expecting anything until I got the phone call last night. He just said, "Come on down. Your door is in."

Drove down to his shop this afternoon. The rusty panel is gone. In it's place is the Tristar door all hung and latching properly. The window needs to be replaced & some additional metal trimming needed. A bit of filler here, sanding and it will be ready for paint. Wow! It works!

Driving it tomorrow for Burningvan at Ocean Beach in San Francisco, 3p until ???. Come see it. Anyone thinking about getting this done, I'll provide youy buddy's contact info. He will be installing a 4th door on my 2wd Doka as well.

Regards,

BenT

ps: now looking for left side rocker panels