Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:52:59 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Vangon revs drops, revs drops, revs drops,
              and then dies after a few minutes of this cycle
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

my thoughts.. I've never seen a throttle switch stick closed .. the opposite is common of course.

there are two kinds of 1.9 throttle bodies, the early ones with the switches right on top.. and the later ones ....which have a 2.1 style switch on the bottom.. fairly rare throttle body ...used 2nd half of 85 is my guess.

if contact is not made at idle.. it can 'run right' but it won't idle right.

if the throttle switch stays closed with too much open throttle .. say you want it closed at zero throttle but breaks contact at 5 % throttle .. if it goes to say 10 % throttle before not making contact.. you get bucking at very low throttle openings. You want it to make contact as close to zero throttle as you can ..AND ...every last time the throttle closes ....it must make contact. if you try to get it to make contact really really close to zero throttle ..it may not return to 'real zero throttle' every time ..due to sticky throttle cable, no slack in it, ...sticking/binding throttle plate etc.

so as close as you can get it, and make sure *everytime* it makes contact at zero throttle.

here's what I find .. they will work and run with all sorts of things out of whack.. throttle switch , timing too advanced, air intake leaks, weak AFM, dead oxygen sensor, poor Temp sensor II etc. but ......if you want it to do what it's suppossed to do ,which is... start instantly, idle consistently, go right, not stall when coming to a stop, proper emissions and decent fuel economy and power .. it ALL has to be right.

typical deal...got one 1.9 wbxr here ....pulled to do a TD engine conversion. - the second I heard it I could tell it had about 20 degrees advance at idle on the timing. I can also get very close on what the compression is of any engine ...just being near it. ..but you have to sort out what is improper running, and what is weak compression.

to give one example of how it's 'more than just idle quality' about throttle swithch .. this was an auto trans 2.1 the problem/symptom was it would just start idling very fast ...like a bad Idle Air Valve or contorl unit. but I didn't start there. I was checking things like timing while it was idling .. then it just took off to 2,000 )+ rpm ..... so I shut it off. then it wouldn't restart. hmmm... I had already checked the Temp Sensor II .. then realized what was going on .. besdies the throttle switch not making contact ( and I had to remove the throttle body to get that working and moving again ..some are just rusted and stuck 'forever' ) ..and besides timing being a bit fast... I realized the temp sesnsor was likely OK cold, but wonky hot. put a new one of those in. removed t-body to get the switch adjusted right .. adjusted timing and idle rpm .. end of problem.

point is ...if the ecu does not see 'idle switch contact' ..........it can 'get confused' let's say. the temp sensor ... they come in two grades....cheap made in you know where and original german .. I always recommend not using parts from you know where ...at least most of the time.

but 'it all adds up.' another one I fixed ..after the guy spent 600 on a new distributor twice in a year... and he doubted me but by golly .. just attenting to throttle switch, timing, and an exhaust leak near the oxygen sensor .. that van worked perfectly after that. Total parts- on or two exhaust port gaskets. It's not mainly in the parts ..it's in the cleaning, inspecting, and adjusting.

People and shops throw parts at problems when they don't understand the systems or have good ( often very simple ) ways to test things. A timing light has about 10 uses, not just for checking igntion timing. You know .. an infra red temp gun can find a misfiring spark plug in 5 seconds, non-intrusively. Use imaginantion.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 2:06 PM Subject: Re: 85 Vangon revs drops, revs drops, revs drops, and then dies after a few minutes of this cycle