Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:07:56 +0300
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Phrydae Topic: Who Is Living in Their Vanagon Full Time?

I think the real challenge on fulltiming is the job situation. If you're independently wealthy you can do what you want, but otherwise you need a way to earn money as you go. Otherwise you're not really full-timing, you're taking a break until the money runs out. Barb does that by picking up waitressing jobs. I had intermittent overseas consulting work - for my work, full-timing in the van was no different from what I'd be doing if I had regular housing.

Another question is whether you have a community you expect to return to at some point, and perhaps whether you have a home you may wan to move back to at some point. I wasn't living in my house when I went on the road (I was in a different city for a job, and my house was rented anyway). I didn't particularly want to move back to where my house was, but I was having issues with my tenants, I was tired of traveling, and taking my own house back was basically a diplomatic way to get the tenants (who were friends) out and have a place to go. Easier than evicting my tenants and then having to replace them.

I think doing it Barb's way - using the van as a way to go from place to place, but stay there for a while and pick up jobs as you go - might be easier than traveling all the time. I can't really imagine wandering indefinitely - I just lost interest after two and a half years. At time I thought it would be good to take some basic job (probably in a coffee house - that would be my equivalent of Barb's waitressing, I think) and stay to get to know what the community was like. But I never did that. It probably would have been a good thing to try, maybe I should have.

In my next life...

Joy