Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:41:28 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Charging system questions.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

if you are changing both batteries at once.. how about disconnecting the starting battery after the engine is running and alt changing ?

very low tech way to make sure you get full charging to the aux batt, which I suspect could be tired anyway. I'm low tech on things like this .. I like KISS ..keep is simple stupid. All I do is have to batteries each with a battery switch.. then I get to choose which battery to start off of, which battery is getting charged etc. there is only ONE thing to be careful about ..always make sure one battery is in the circuit any time the battery is running. give full redundancy ... full flexibility, and full manual control. Why people don't do it like this is beyond me ..not idiot proof I suppose.

but charging two batteries in parallel on a system meant to charge one battery ????? and what if one is really weak ? can't work very well as far as I'm concerned. perhaps you have a stock 65 amp alt.

if it's related to diesel vanagon , I make an adapter bracket to fit the common 90 amp waterboxer alternator. do you have a simple battery hydrometer ? and nice lead acid batteries with cell caps so you can test each cell ? a small hydrometer costs like 3 bucks at a FLAPS ..and will tell you easily the condition of each cell. You got one bad cell , the battery is basically junk.

and yes..if I have 14 at the alt and loose up to a volt to the battery, I work on that ...better / cleaner cables....redundant cables if necessary, on both pos and ground sides.

and the battery switch method for each battery .. totally completely fool proof ......as long as you keep at least one battery connected while engine is running. what's not to like ? it's simple, robust, low tech, inexpensive ... and you can start off either battery , and control which single battery gets charged ???? I mean ..why not ? you have to think a little.. but having full control is so nice.

ever notice that everything in a basic small aircraft is totally manaul control ?? that's for simplicity, light weight, and reliability .. you have to have a brain to remember carb heat on or whatever.. and flaps set right for take off or landing .. or fuel mixture.. but by golly , you have TOTAL control and it's all low tech and simple/robust. Why not do it that way ?

and totally end all this mystery why is my aux batt not getting charged right ? And simple is good. I would only have two identical type batteries I think too. ideally about the same age each too. and the 90 amp alt is super common .. heck, I can even get adjustable solid state regulators for those ..or your 65 amp one , but I don't normally mess with those anymore. Make it simple whenever possible for the most versatility .. heck, in my system if both batteries are a little weak...you can start off both of them if you need to. Full redundancy, yet simple with FULL control.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:42 AM Subject: Charging system questions.