Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:21:14 -0800
From:         Bernie <berniej@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: first time buyer

I purchased my 1985 Vanagon Westfalia GL 9 years ago in North Vancouver, BC. I knew nothing about them and this was the first one I looked at. The seller was a older, ex RCMP, from the old country, and let's just say VERY set in this ways. Though I knew nothing about this vehicle I did know that overall people who take excellent care of interior and exterior usually keep up the mechanical also. This vehicle was in excellent condition and had been garage kept and this was the original owner. The seats had some cheap cover on them since new and were mint underneath. The test drive consisted of he driving the vehicle for a short distance. I suggested I was very interested and coaxed a test drive out of him. The vehicle had 55,000 original miles and paint was excellent with no rust. I can see both sides of the checklist issue, however, had I arrived with a checklist for this excellent vehicle the seller who loved this vehicle would have been a bit insulted. I know it would have blown the transaction. In this case I could have looked at the next 100 for sale and not found one like this. I agree with the Mark that with these vehicles you have to be somewhat careful about ticking people of when they are so attached to these vehicles. Never underestimate the attachment. Should I ever sell mine I would be more than prepared to take the time to answer and explain all history of the vehicle. I will share much more information than you can get in a checklist. Though I knew nothing about these vehicles I know excellent condition in and out and I know a bit about people. Assessing the seller is very important as well as I think and I don't bring a checklist for that. At any rate as Mark has indicated sometimes you just go with your "gut" and intuition. I shook hands with the seller and said we had a deal if it passed mechanical inspection the next day. It was the best decision I ever made and has been an excellent vehicle. As a seller you have every right to arrive at my doorstep with a checklist or anything else for that for that matter and I have every right wether or not to sell it to you. Believe me when I say I would have to like the person that I sold this vehicle to. The essence or the "soul" of these vehicles cannot be captured with a checklist. To my mind as buyer I would want to look at vehicle and if I liked it drive it. I would like to talk to owner a good deal about history and maintenance and get a feel for vehicle and owner. If everything then is satisfactory and I'm close to making a decision to buy than make it subject to a satisfactory mechanical check and then work with my mechanical on everything to check. We all have a different process I guess and that is ok.

Bernie Vancouver BC.