Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:09:58 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: When is The Vanagon Rescue Tape not Rescue tape?
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

At 01:00 AM 1/25/2011, Max Wellhouse wrote: >Having bought two rolls of the black rescue tape for my Vanagon

"Rescue Tape" is a brand name, rather recent. I think they may have come up with the pretty colors as well. Self-fusing silicone rubber tape has been around in the marine community for many years (15?) and has always been pricey. It used to be available in silicone rubber brick red, which seems to be a default color - I have sheet and foam gasket material the same color. Some brand or another should be available in any marine store in the country, I would think. Certainly West Marine carries it (presently the Rescue Tape brand). The stuff I used to buy was thinner at the edges to make a more even patch but I don't think it improved the results and meant that the rolled tape was more liable to contamination.

When I had my little accident Sunday my toolbox and roll of yellow Rescue Tape (TM) were naturally sitting in the back of Millee's van, fifty miles away. I camped out at a very friendly Advance Auto Parts until they opened and managed to find some self-fusing rubber tape of the kind that used to be called electrician's rubber tape, rated up to 212F. I made a patch with that and bought enough antifreeze to make up 24 liters, eight of which went into the beast immediately. That patch got me almost to a West Marine store - I went the last three miles at about a gallon a mile - where I bought a roll of the real stuff. On a whim I chose white, and found that it had the very practical advantage of being quite translucent, so that while applying it I could see the layer underneath. I expect that for most purposes I'll be using white henceforth.

So far my luck asking for the Nashua stuff at Home Depots has been zilch. If I can come up with a SKU maybe I'll do better. I understand it comes in your choice of black but costs noticeably less. Nashua generally make good tape.

Yours, David