Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jan 2011 04:30:26 -0500
From:         Jay Brown <badkarma@TTLC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Headlights Out

Hi John,

As others have already pointed out, there are a few possible suspects to test in order to diagnose and fix for your headlight problems. To avoid replacing parts needlessly, one of the easiest ways to test for the root issue is to check the function of a couple other components and determine the failure point via the process of elimination.

With the van running (and headlights switched on, but not working) try the defroster fan and the windshield wipers. If these work fine I would look at the grounds and the headlight switch as the source of your trouble. If the fan and wipers are not working either, it is almost definitely the ignition switch.

Regardless of the part(s) that need to be replaced, it is always a good idea to clean the grounds. A happy ground point makes for a happy circuit and this maintenence costs nothing more than a possible skinned knuckle or two. The headlight grounds can be found on two crown shaped lugs above the fuse block on the left wall of the van. Give each connector a tug to make sure it is good and tight and then wiggle the connectors back and forth to insure good contact. If the grounding lugs are badly corroded it is probably best to remove all the connectors and clean them up nice and shiny before reinstalling the grounds.

The Vanagon runs the full electrical load of the headlights thru the ignition switch. This is generally considered a bad design concept, made even more confusing when you consider the fact that the Baywindow and Spitwindow buses came with integrated headlight relays from the factory...

I have been making headlight relays for the Vanagon for several years since fabricating a set for my '85 Westy. I recently started making a hard start relay setup for the Vanagon as well after my '87 Wolfsburg started suffering from week starts with an almost new starter. The addition of these two easy to install accessories will eliminate two of the major electrical loads from the ignition switch. The end product will be brighter headlights and better starting current accompanied by a cooler running ignition switch and headlight switch, which will generally make them last longer and operate more efficiently. More info can be found on my website at the following address: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/

Hope this helps, Jay Brown '85 Zetec Westfalia '87 Zetec Wolfsburg

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:15:23 -0600 From: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> Subject: Headlights Out New experience. Got in the van last night, turned on the headlights. Nothing! Dash lights OK, driving lights OK, brake lights OK. No headlights. --