Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:17:52 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need to finish restoration
Comments: To: Paul Guzyk <paullist08@GUZYK.COM>

Hi Paul, nice to see your post.

No Kidding .. 'if people could just say'...

here's my text from a rant on this subject I just wrote. ( and it IS the technology ..it has to be, that is making people less thoughtful and helpful of their own situation these days. This would never ever happen in the 60's, 70's or 80's ..people had to actually THINK back then. )

I'll try to keep it short. The request is to 'think proactively' to supply people with necessary information to understand what it is they are trying to accomplish.

the classic of course is '...fabulous XYZ Vanagon or vanagon parts for sale, fantastic deal, great price' ... etc. and *they never mention where it is* !

getting to be a joke almost ...so somebody has to say .."ok, that's nice, now where the blank blank is it ???"

Or tech questions and never say the engine type or Vanagon year and type etc. Too common.

similarily ... Two really nice guys drive into my shop today .. I'm kinda like ..'Hi ...did you just stop by to check out my operation and vans?" ... I got a kinda of a 'yes' on that.

I show 'em around ... After a while the guy spots the parts I've saved for him .. which was the purpose of the visit that he didn't mention driving up ! I talk to lots of people all the time about parts and vanagons ....dozens of conversations all the time.. why the guy didn't say 'Hi, I'm George here to pick up those parts we talked about ' ..

is just beyond me. it MUST BE .....the iphones, the GPS etc is making people dumber and dumber !

so please...try to give the pertinent information to help YOURSELF get what it is you are after ! thanks. I'm serious ...people are lot dumber and more thoughtless...there, that's a good word for it ..'THOUGHTLESS' ...than they ever used to be. ..it's a creeping malaise in the culture.

I guess I'll make it standard practice....if they don't offer, I'll have to say, 'Please state the purpose of your visit. " that really shouldn't be neccessary of course. The technology has made people forget the need to identify who they are and what they are trying to accomplish, apparently, and sadly.. And even where they are.

Evidently people assume subconsciously that technology is going to do the basic work for them. It doesn't.

anyway ..'try' ..ok ? thanks.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Guzyk" <paullist08@GUZYK.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 1:53 PM Subject: Re: Need to finish restoration